2019: A Decent Year in Review
We finished the year strong. Let’s take a moment to look backwards.
- Molly quarterbacked our 290 page regulatory filing to operate in Texas.
- We signed our first DPC partners: Drs. Ikbal, Larson, Miller, and Nguyen.
- Derric made our shirts: “You work for yourself. Decent works for you.”
- Our dev team shipped its first code to production.
- Marshall moved to Austin to meet customers. I and others would follow.
- Suzanne and Ryan recorded our phone tree messages, in a Seattle closet.
- Decent got licensed as a TPA, and Charlie, Marshall, and I as brokers.
- We started to build our network of >60 brokers in Austin.
- We got the go-ahead from counsel on plans to reward cost-effective care.
- We launched with TX approval and paying customers, in less than a year.
- First hires Suzanne and Molly hit 1 year and got tickets to fly anywhere.
- Our dev team + Suzanne gathered at our office in Gdańsk, Poland.
- We paid our first claims, via our PBM partner Costco Health Solutions.
- I published this post on how Decent will use blockchain.
- I presented Decent to 300 DPC doctors, and got >50 expansion requests. <a href="https:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeardcmMIQ4&feature=youtu.be" class="embedly-card" data-card-width="100%" data-card-controls="0">Embedded content: https:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeardcmMIQ4&feature=youtu.be</a>
- We added HCA, the largest hospital system in the world, to our network.
- We partnered with Vericred and Catch to distribute our plans online.
- We launched our new Pathfinder bronze plan with lower premiums.
- We published our goal to cover one billion lives.
- We added hundreds of new imaging centers via Green Imaging.
- We made Austin’s #1 TV news show and spoke at several events. <a href="https://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzdnCz5Nbxg&feature=youtu.be" class="embedly-card" data-card-width="100%" data-card-controls="0">Embedded content: https://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzdnCz5Nbxg&feature=youtu.be</a>
- We added 700 doctors to our network via HCA’s Capital Area Providers.
- We established our first live/work office in Austin — thanks Jessica!
- I did a 5 minute segment on Cheddar (CNBC for Millennials). <a href="https://youtu.be/mwufNxZmnHo" class="embedly-card" data-card-width="100%" data-card-controls="0">Embedded content: https://youtu.be/mwufNxZmnHo</a>
- Molly did a TV interview helping Austinites with Open Enrollment.
- We designed our bestselling Lonestar plan: $0 medical deductible!
- We gave State Bar of Texas members discounts via our partner program.
- We set our 2020 rates: Austin’s cheapest for nonsmokers.
- We added 125 providers from the Austin Diagnostic Clinic.
- We made plans with virtual DPC, for people who live far from doctors.
- We shared new rates to 0% churn: 80% of members’ rates went down.
- We partnered with Rise and The Riveter to discount members’ rates.
- We freaked out when we saw our billboards live in Austin.
- We soundly beat our enrollment targets, and signups are still coming in.
- Members chose in-person and virtual DPC plans, direct and via brokers.
- Our DPC partner Dr. Larson purchased a plan, and made a video on why.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiLeeKKGEvg&feature=youtu.be" class="embedly-card" data-card-width="100%" data-card-controls="0">Embedded content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiLeeKKGEvg&feature=youtu.be</a>
It’s been an incredible year, and we’re just getting started.
2020 opportunities have appeared that we can’t even talk about yet.
We're scheduling fundraising meetings in January to fuel 2020 opportunities we can’t even talk about yet.
We’re cutting out the middleman in insurance. Wait until you see what we do next.
Thanks for reading,
Nick and the Decent team