How do I add someone to my plan in the event of a Qualifying Life Event (QLE)?

Leslie Harding

A Qualifying Life Event (QLE) is an event that makes you eligible for a special enrollment period, meaning you can make changes to your health plan coverage. Typically, you can only change your health plan coverage during open enrollment. But if you have a QLE, you may be eligible to change coverage during the plan year.

Any change in coverage must be consistent with the type of QLE you experience (for example, you get married and add your spouse to your plan). The following are considered QLEs for purposes of the Decent health plan:

  • Change in marital status
  • Change in dependent status
  • Change in employment status
  • Significant cost of benefits or coverage change imposed by a third party
  • Loss of coverage due to the exhaustion of COBRA benefits, provided you were paying for premiums on a timely basis
  • Change of address that results in loss of coverage eligibility
  • Change in Medicare, Medicaid, or Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) status
  • Receiving an applicable National Medical Support Notice

If you have a QLE, please call our Support Team at (866) HEART-US (432-7887). We will help you fill out the Employee Change Form and work with your HR department to process your QLE. 

We will ask you for the following info when you call:

  1. Date the QLE occurred
  2. Type of qualifying event
  3. If you are cancelling or adding a dependent, we will need your spouse or child’s personal details

You might also like: